To me, music is an essential element for navigating our complicated world. In my life, it has been the constant thread that connects all of the things and people that I cherish the most. At times, it plays gently in the background, and in particularly challenging moments, it roars to life and is the very air that allows me to remain afloat.
Throughout life, we are presented with gifts - the physical attributes we’re born with, God-given talent, and very importantly, the tremendous gifts handed down by mentors along the way. I think that it is so important to honor those gifts, share them, and pass them on to enrich the lives of others. That is my true desire in this studio - to take the wisdom that I was so fortunate to absorb over the years and hopefully use it to enrich the lives of others as a way of giving back.
The only promise that I will make to my students is that I will honestly and wholeheartedly work to help them achieve their goals as a performer. I don't pretend to have all of the answers or that I can sing or teach anything and everything. I don't guarantee parts, college placement, or status, and I certainly do not promise to make anyone into a STAR! But together, we will sharpen your vocal technique, along with a strong focus on song performance and auditioning. Perhaps the most important goal that I have for myself and my students alike, is to develop LIFELONG singers with HEALTHY singing technique that will lead to a long and satisfying career. Though my background and college degree is in Musical Theatre performance, I have always maintained a solid focus on classical technique, and feel that a well-rounded and broad approach to repertoire is best for any singer.
1. Lessons will be scheduled in "semesters" and will closely resemble a typical school calendar, though lessons may be offered during break periods. Each semester is 12 weekly lessons; Sept-Dec, & Jan-April, and the May-Aug summer semester will be more flexible to accommodate vacation time for students and their families.
2. If a student has another voice teacher, please make a note of that either in writing or in person at or before your first session. Vocal technique instruction WILL NOT be offered past the initial "audition" session unless the other teacher has been properly notified. (Other teachers may consent to the student studying here for the purpose of learning particular styles of singing that they do not teach.) Acting-related song coaching sessions ARE available if you choose to study elsewhere, but singing technique should not be learned by more than one teacher at a time. This is confusing even for adult singers, but especially true for very young people.
3. For students/parents willing to pre-pay: Discounts are applied for blocks of SIX lessons at a time; $2 per lesson when paying for 6 at a time (use discount code "QUARTER" at checkout), and $5 per lesson when paying for a full 12-week term (discount code "SEMESTER").
4. One-on-one lessons are not generally available for children under the age of 10, though exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
5. Lessons are scheduled in ONE-HOUR slots. 1/2 hour lessons are not offered at this time, but if you wish to split your hour slot with another student, please note that on your application form or email email@example.com to see if an accommodation can be made.
6. A security camera will remain on, and recording throughout each lesson. This is not only for the security of the studio and its equipment, but also for the safety and peace-of-mind of students and to uphold the integrity of the instructor. For those who may not be comfortable with this policy, a parent or legal guardian must also be present in the studio at all times.
7. Payments may be made using this website's online platform, in cash, or with a personal check made out to Andrew Niles, or R2 Studio, LLC.
8. Cancellation policy: as stated above, (#2) any missed lesson will lead to forfeiture of the lesson fee unless prior notice of at least 24 hours has been given. Lessons MAY be made up/rescheduled if the schedule permits, but this is not guaranteed. If the instructor has to cancel for any reason, however, a make-up lesson WILL be offered. No student will be asked to forfeit her/his fee due to the instructor's absence.
9. Social Media - Students are welcome to post about their lessons and reference the studio so long as the content is respectful and non-disparaging. Video of weekly lessons will frequently be supplied for the purpose of giving students a more objective view of their technique. These weekly lesson videos are not intended to be "shared" online without the instructor's expressed consent. However, video sessions MAY be specifically commissioned for audition and/or sharing purposes. Such sessions may be subject to a separate service fee.
Code of Ethics - from the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
I. Personal Ethical Standards
- I will strive to teach with competence through study of voice pedagogy, musicianship, and performance skills.
- I will present myself honestly, in a dignified manner, and with documented qualifications: academic degrees, professional experience, or a combination of both.
- I will faithfully support the (NATS) Association and will make every effort to participate in its activities.
II. Ethical Standards Relating to Students
- I will respect the personal integrity and privacy of students unless the legal or academic system requires disclosure.
- I will treat each student in a dignified and impartial manner.
- I will clearly communicate all expectations of my studio including financial arrangements.
- I will respect the student's right to obtain instruction from the teacher of his/her choice.
- I will offer their best voice and music instruction and career advice to all students under my instruction. I will complete the full number of lessons and amount of time paid for by each student in accordance with studio policies.
- I will not make false or misleading statements regarding a student's hopes for a career or guarantees of performances or favorable contracts.